Deine TätigkeitenRoofers often work on roofs – but not always. The job title might therefore be misleading. Roofers specialize in one of two areas. They are either specialist for roof, wall and sealing technology or for thatched roof technology. They manufacture sub-structures, sub-roofs, roofs and walls with “typical” roofing material (slates, roof tiles, shingles, roof sheeting and fibre cement). But also other kinds of material are used, such as metal-like material, metal foil and synthetics. Roofers construct and seal flat roofs with chemicals. They clad outer walls and construct roof boards. Roofers sometimes “aim high” – even steeples of churches have to be repaired from time to time. They manufacture sealing and gutters, integrate windows and photovoltaic elements. They erect scaffolds and take measures for wood protection. Did you know that they install, test, check and repair lightning conductors as well? Roofers have a wide range of equipment. They operate machines and appliances such as chain hoists or welding gears for plastics. Thatched roofs are typical for German North Sea islands, such as Sylt. These roofs are not made of tiles or slates, but of reed which is a plant. The construction of these roofs requires real craftsmanship to guarantee the roof being watertight, durable and good-looking.
Inhalte der Ausbildung
Roofersare qualified within three years of training. These are some of the training contents:
- Establishing a building site
- Covering roofs with tiles, slates, shingles, sheeting or reed (for a thatched roof)
- Building timber constructions for roofs
- Cladding structural components
- Manufacturing flat roofs
- Sealing roof surfaces (making them watertight)
- Diverting surface water
- Installing lightning conductors
- Maintaining and repairing roofs
- Manufacturing seals (for insulating roofs)
- Energietechnik an Dach und Wand
Falls du bereits eine abgeschlossene Berufsausbildung in einem anderen Bereich absolviert hast, kannst du deine Ausbildung zum Dachdecker ggf. um ein Jahr verkürzen.
In Italien dauert die Ausbildung vier Jahre, statt drei, wie in Deutschland.
Prospective roofers should have the following skills and interests:
- Working quickly, but conscientiously
- Having a good head for heights
- Having a sense of distance
- Ability to see things three-dimensionally
- Geometry and calculation skills
- Enjoying to work outside
- Being clever with one’s hands, strong
Bei der Recherche für unsere Berufsbilder verwenden wir die Informationen von der Bundesagentur für Arbeit
sowie dem Bundesministerium für Wirtschaft und Energie .