Important Institutions to contact

You have arranged a training place or a place at university and are now getting things ready for your stay in Germany. This is a list of institutions that might help you to answer your questions about flat-hunting, residence formalities, healthcare, your EU rights, insurance and so on.

European Union
Tel.: 00 800 – 6 7 8 9 10 11

Information on rights and formalities concerning living and working in the EU, healthcare, financing, driving, shopping and so on.

Europe Direct Centres
Find your local information centre that helps you with all issues of living and working in the EU.

Auswärtiges Amt (Federal Foreign Office)
Tel.: 0049 3018 17 2000

Information on entry and residence, visa regulations, asylum, laws on nationality, general facts about Germany.

Embassies/ Consulates
The Federal Foreign Office offers a list of all foreign embassies and consulates in Germany. There are diplomatic representations of about 200 countries in Germany.

Federal Office for Migration and Refugees
Tel.: 0049 911 943 6390
You can seek advice at local advice centres which deal with immigrants from all over the world. The Federal Office for Migration and Refugees also provides detailed information on migration, residence, accommodation, healthcare, education and much more.

ZAV (International Placement Services)
Tel.: 0049 228 713 0
The ZAV is an information centre provided by the “Bundesagentur für Arbeit” (Federal Employment Agency) that gives information on work permits and residence.

Deutsche Auslandshandelskammern (German Chambers of Commerce)
With 125 locations worldwide and 44,000 member companies the German Chambers of Commerce mediate between German and foreign industries.

Einwohnermeldeamt/ Bürgeramt (Resident's registration office)
Each town or city has its own resident's registration office where you register as a new resident of that city, where you apply for passport and get official certifications of documents.
If you are looking for a specific office just search for “Bürgeramt” and the city you want to move to.

MeineStadt is one of many internet portals that help you find a flat. It comprises all German cities and municipalities. You can also search for local doctors, events, hotels and many other things.

Techniker Krankenkasse (TK)
If you are looking for a German health insurance, the Techniker Krankenkasse might be one you want to consider.
Find out what the TK offers for students or trainees from abroad under

Techniker Krankenkasse