Financing going abroad

Going abroad requires a lot of curiosity, courage, organisation, patience and – money. As always, money is what turns out to be a problem – especially for trainees and students. But this should not prevent you from having your experience abroad! There are ways and means when it comes to financial support.
Going abroad for training or studies is something that has gained much importance in recent times so that many international institutions, such as the European Commission, are very interested in enabling young persons to broaden their horizons by having international experiences.
This is a range of possibilities you might want to consider.


The Erasmus+ programme provides financial aid for trainees, interns and students who would like to do a part of their training period or studies abroad. The stay may last from two weeks up to one year. Students and trainees can apply at their higher education or training institutions. Ask your training company or university/college what kind of Erasmus programme they offer.
For further information see


BAföG (Federal Law on Training and Education Promotion) is a German funding programme that supports students and trainees who are not able to afford their training on their own or with the help of their parents. It also supports foreign students and trainees who are planning to stay in Germany for a longer period (permanent residence).
Further information under:


The “Deutscher Akademischer Austausch Dienst” (German Academic Exchange Service) is the largest funding organisation in the world. It supports the international exchange of students. If you plan to study or research in another country you can apply at the DAAD for financial support. See for further information.


It is a programme that was initiated by the “Bundesagentur für Arbeit” (Federal Employment Agency) to fight youth unemployment in the EU and the lack of qualified personnel in Germany. It is targeted at young persons between 18 and 35 who are living in the European Union, who have a school-leaving qualification and wish to do their vocational training in Germany. Furthermore, it applies to persons who are unemployed and want to start working in an understaffed profession in Germany.

The following benefits can be claimed at the “Bundesagentur für Arbeit”:
German language course; travelling costs for job interview, for preparatory training programme (internship) and for the actual training; “Ausbildungsbegleitende Hilfe” (Coaching during training); benefits to cover subsistence costs during preparatory internship and training period.

For further information see:

Berufsausbildungsbeihilfe BAB (Training Allowance)

The BAB is targeted at German trainees or persons from EU countries who plan to stay in Germany for a longer period.
For basic information see: